Best time to Visit BD: From Aug-March
- Bangladesh visa info/ Bangladesh Visa Fee: Click here for details
- Visa on Arrival (VOA) : It is very easy to get VOA at Dhaka airport. The booth is open 24 hours and procedure is normal. Just go the respective booth, provide your passport 9No need photocopy, they will do it), Pay the fees (different fees as per Nationality) and get 4 Weeks visa stamp on your passport.- All country Citizens are eligible to get VOA except : a. India, b. Pakistan, c. Algeria, d. Sudan, e. Iraq & f. Afghanistan – No VOA is provided in any land borders. The VOA is applicable only at Dhaka airport.
- Rout Change permission : You you enter by air and leave by land, NO NEED to take permission. Yes, there was such a rule earlier but no use at all. No one will ask you either onward ticket at airport or route permit at land border. So, dont worry about this.
- Visit From/to India: Click here for details
- Present Currency Exchange rate (Jan 23, 2013):
- 1 USD = 81.30 BDT,
- 1 Euro = 104.6 BDT
- Banking hours: Sunday – Thursday (From : 10 am – 4 p.m)
- ATM booths(Standard Chartered/HSBC Bank accepts Visa/Master/Amex card) :
- Dilkusha (Near Biman office),
- Gulshan (Near Circle 1)
- 53 Kawran Bazar.
- Dutch Bangla Bank Ltd. has more than 300 ATM’s in Dhaka (also in Chittagong, Barisal, Khulna, Sylhet, Coxsbazar) those accept Master/Visa/Maestro/Amex cards. So, definitely you will find a DBBL ATM near to your hotel. Ask hotel manger to know the location. They accepts almost all major Debit/credit cards.
- Money Changers/Banks:
- You will find Six banks inside airport (almost banks are open 24 hours) where can exchange money. You can find money changers at Motijheel, Fakirapool,Purana Paltan, Gulshan Circle 1& 2 and many other places. Some addresses are : Avia Money Changer, 52 Motijheel C/A, Dhaka (Near Shapla Circle), Dhaka, Good Will Money Exchange, Land View Shopping Complex, Gulshan Circle-2, Dhaka, Kamas Money Exchange Corp, 61 Gulshan Shopping Center (1st Fl.), Gulshan-1, Dhaka.
- FYI, almost money exchanges are closed on Friday. In case of emergency, you can go to a Money exchange inside Bashundhara City Shopping Mall, Ground Fl. (Panthapath, Near Pan Pacific Sonargaon Hotel).
- Airport-Dhaka city transport:
Though the usual Taxi fare is around Tk 200/- but almost all Taxis will demand Tk. 500-700. But if you walk around 100 meters, will find main road. Cross the road & take a Taxi/Baby taxi (Tooktook, Locally called : CNG) which will take only Tk. 200 to any place of Dhaka City. You will find also many buses to Gulistan/Motijheel/ Gulshan area. Fare only Tk. 20.
- Some Budget Hotels: Please see separate page for hotel recommendation.
- Hiring a Guide in Bangladesh:
Due to language difficulty, an English speaking guide can help you to make your travel plan as well as to execute that plan. It is cheap here to hire a Guide. I know some guides who can serve only for USD 20-30/day (Depending on duration & destination).
- Rocket Steamer trip:
- Days : Every day except Friday
- Note : Due to low water level in the river, now a days Rocket goes till Morolgonj (1.5 hours drive from Khulna). But you can get off earlier in Hularhat and go to Bagerhat by bus to visit 60 Domed mosque and then head to Khulna/ Mongla.
- Starts at : 6.30 p.m (From Sadarghat River Station, Dhaka) & reach Hularhat 11 a.m and Morolgonj at 3.30 p.m
- 3.00 p.m : From Hularhat.
fare : The fare has been increased 40% from Mar 6, 2011. Now the fare is : Dhaka-Hularhat first class fare : Taka 2828, Morolgonj : Taka 3,388 ( Each Cabin has 2 beds, for single person just half the fare.)
- Deck Class fare : USD 2 (Taka 200)/Sleeping bag needed to travel by this class.
- Advance Ticket : You can book the ticket 15/20 days before the trip and collect ticket before 2-3 days from Bangladesh Inland Transport Corp (BIWTC), 5 Dilkusha, Dhaka. Ph : (+880 2) 955 9779. Office hour : Sunday – Thursday from 9 am – 5 p.m. No online or e-mail booking facility.
- In case of 2nd Class, you have to call another number : 739 0691
- Barisal-Chittagong-Barisal Vessel:
Unfortunately the vessel stops their operation & no service for this route at present. But there is a nice alternate way to go Chitagong from Barisal by Ferry+Bus. FIRST TAKE THE FERRY TO MOJUCHOWDHURY HUT FROM LONCH GHAT. After 4 hours you will reach Mojuchowdhury Hut. Then immidiately take the bus to Chittagong. It will take 4 hours to reach Chottagong.
- Hiring a Car in Dhaka:
It is easy to hire a Car in Dhaka. The usual cost is BD Taka 2500-3000/day with Driver (+Drivers food & Accommodation for outside Dhaka Trip). Palton Circle is the best place. You will find a car rental service association in that circle. Talk to them & hire the car .
- Chittagong Hill Tract permission (Rangamati/ Bandarbans):
To enter Chittagong Hill Tract districts (Rangamati, Bandarban) it is mandatory to take the permit from : Divisional Commissioner’s Office , 718 Chatteshari Road, Chittagong (Sun-Thu, 9 am-5 p.m) . It is easy n takes half an hour and NO FEE.
- Dhaka-Chittagong/Coxsbazar bus service:
It takes 6 hours (275 K.M) to reach Chittaong. Shohag, Green Line, Silk Line are the best in this route. Fare : Tk. 900 (Air con), Tk. 350/400 (Non air con). Dhaka Coxsbazar fare is : Tk. 1500/1600 (Air con) & Tk. 600/700 (Non air con). Almost buses have the Ticket Counter at Arambag/Fakirapool area. Some addresses of their head offices (also bus counter) are as under :
- a. Shohag Paribhan (Trasnport), 114 Malibag DIT Road, Dhaka. Phone : 933 4477
- b. Green Line : 9/2 Outer Circular Rd., Rajarbag, Dhaka. Ph : 933 9623
From Dhaka, everyday many train go to different cities (Except Southern Cities like Barisal, Patuakhali). Train service is good & safe here. Some details as under :
a. Mohanagar Provati : 7.40 am – 3.15 pm (No off day)
b. Mohanagar Godhuli : 03.00 pm – 10.20 pm (Off day : Sunday)
c. Subarna Express : 4.20 pm – 10.40 pm (Off day : Friday)
d. Turna Express : 11.00 pm – 6.40 am (No off day)
Fare : Chair : Tk. 150, 1 st Class air con seat : Tk 290, Sleeper Class : Tk. 455/750 (A/C)
a. Parabat Express : 06.40 am – Sri : 11.06 am / Syl : 1.40 p.m (Off day : Tuesday)
b. Joyantik Express : 02.00 pm – Sri : 07.10 pm /Syl : 09.25 p.m (No off day)
c. Upobon Express : 10.00 pm – Sri : 03.40 am/ Syl : 05.40 am (Off day : Wednesday)
Fare (Sri/Sylhet) : Chair : Tk. 135/Tk. 180, 1 st Class : Tk. 200/Tk. 270, Sleeper Class : Tk. 300/Tk.425 (A/C)
- Dhaka-Khulna (From Dhaka Cantonment station)
Chitra Express : 7.30 pm – 6.30 am (Monday off)
Fare : Chair : Tk. 235, Sleeper Class : Tk. 961 (Air con)
Note : Advance tickets are available (3 days ago) from Kamalapur Railway Station (6 am-11 pm) & Bananai Rail Station (Near Kakoli, Time : 8 am-8 pm).
Every day at 9 a.m except Friday and Sunday from Chittagong Sadarghat.
Time : 3 Hours to Sandwip and 5.5 Hours to Hatia.
Dare : Taka. 90/105 (Deck Class) and 1st class is around 5 times higher.
20. Buying a SIM Card in Bangladesh.
It is so easy to buy a SIM Card in BD. You will find a GARMMENPHONE counter just beside the luggage belt. There is also a of BANGLALINK just outside of main gate of airport. Buy a SIM card (BDT 150) and recharge some amount. Both Grameen and Banglalink hve wide network in BD and also can call worldwide.
- Internet in Mobile : Grameen, Banglalink have almost same coverage. So, you can buy any of them.
- Grameenphone : They have 1 GB package (Validity 1 month) with Tk. 345 (1 usd=80 taka)
- Banglalink : 1 Gb Package (1 month) with Tk. 310
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.